Monday, August 13, 2007

It is already August!!






It always surprises me how fast time goes by when I see that I havent' posted in a couple of months. We left for Guatemala on June 14 and the garden was all by itself for almost a whole month. I put all my potted orchids and house plants among the garden plants and just hoped for the best. I imagined some of the plants were going to die but I could not do anything. We were still only allowed to water the lawn and garden 1 time a week so the only thing that could help was rain.

Well, as soon as we came back from the airport on July 12 I went to see the garden and found almost everything in great shape. Everything was so green and lush! It always amazes me how well the plants do without my supervision. Maybe they like it better this way. It looked like it had been raining quite a lot. One of the orchids was about to bloom so I brought it into the screened patio but I left the other plants outside. It was too hot to do anything else. That is one thing I am still missing from Guatemala, the wonderful weather!!

We had a couple of surprises! The banana stalk had fallen and it was just resting on the ground but the bananas were still green. I cut one bunch and brought it inside. It took them 4 or 5 days to ripen. Don didn't like them much but Titi and I thought they were very good. We cut some other bunches but at the end I did not realize they had all ripen at once and some were too soft by the time we cut them. Well, the surprise was that the other two banana plants had bananas in them too. The one on the left has a lot of them and they are bigger in size. The one on the right has only a few but they seem to be small and fat ones, very different from the ones we just ate. I did not know we were going to have success in all 3 plants!!! Very happy about it!

No comments: