Friday, August 31, 2007

Chaya and more bananas

I don't know if this passion fruit is the edible kind


My healthy chaya tree. I think this one is chaya also.

Bananas!!
It is too hot for me to go outside and work in the garden. Things don't look too bad but I need to work there one of these days. I need to cut back the cotton plants, the branches are very long. They are not flowering now so it should be a good time.

I saw that the banana tree had fallen to the side because of the weight of the banana stalk. I can't wait to eat them. I also saw that there was a flower bud in another tree (the same tree but another trunk?) I love them!!!

I also decided to eat some chaya. Lisa from GardenWeb gave me the cutting last year and it has grown very well. She told us how to cook it so I did it yesterday. You need to boil the leaves for 10 minutes and then discard the water and boil again. The leaves have some toxic substance that evaporates with boiling. The leaves were very thick and I didn't think I was going to like them but when I tasted one it was not bad. It doesn't really have a flavor and I liked the consistency, it felt like I was eating something substancial, not a green.

I looked for recipes online and found out that they use chaya in Mexico, in the Yucatan peninsula. I think it comes from there. I need to try some of those recipes. I ate some boiled chaya with olive oil, salt, pepper and some okra that I had cooked with tomatoes and onions. It was good. I liked it a lot. I had some chaya left and some brown rice so I decided to make a rice salad for dinner. I chopped the chaya, shredded a carrot and mixed them with the rice. Then I put some walnuts, mayo, mustard, lemon juice, honey, garlic powder and pepper. I liked it a lot. Later I put some curry powder and I liked it even better.

1 comment:

BlogHer said...

Hi Carmen,

I live in So. FL between Ft. Laud. and Miami, a mile from the ocean. Two questions. I would like to know when I can plant sunflower seeds. October?

I understand that sunflowers need full sun. But what kind of water conditions? Is there a variety that can withstand less water than others?

Thank you,
Clarice