Sunday, October 01, 2006

October

We are in October and I am getting ready to grow some vegetables! I have lots of seedlings but I haven't been able to finish the beds. I think I am going to grow the tomatoes in containers. I won't have time to make deep beds on the ground for them. I am harvesting a lot of okra now. I am freezing some and eating some. Last week I made fried okra as an appetizer and it was great. I tried to bake it instead but it was not as good. I think I like the green okra plant better. The burgundy one is very pretty but the pods are smaller. Maybe it will produce bigger pods when the plants get taller but I am not sure.

I have been eating malabar spinach and the plants have enough for another meal. It is kind of slimy so I don't know if Don will like it. I am also freezing the jade green beans.

I have tomato, eggplant, tomatillo, lettuce, malabar spinach, swiss chard and sweet pea seedlings. I also planted some new seeds. I need to make sure I have peppers too. I remember planting the seeds but I haven't seen the pot. I am waiting for some seeds I ordered from Seed Savers. I am getting broccoli and edamame. The farm in Boynton is harvesting edamame now. They said they were supposed to be ready in 80 days but they were ready in only 58 days. They are delicious. I bought some for Mimi and some for us. I also bought cucumbers and zucchini.

No comments: